Régie des rentes du Québec

Other aid programs available

Several sources of income may be available to you: private insurance, the Canada Pension Plan, the Commission de la santé et de la sécurité au travail (CSST), la Société de l'assurance automobile du Québec (SAAQ), the Ministère de l'Emploi et de la Solidarité sociale and in some cases foreign government agencies. The following information will help you find out.

Did the deceased have a private insurance policy, a group insurance policy or perhaps both?

To find out, see the section "Consumer Assistance This link will open in a new window." on the Canadian Life and Health Insurance Association's Web site.

Had the deceased worked elsewhere in Canada?

If so, he or she made contributions to the Canada Pension Plan This link will open in a new window.. The Québec Pension Plan takes those contributions into account in calculating survivors' benefits.

Had the deceased worked outside Canada?

If so, he or she may have participated in a social security program in another country, and you may be entitled to benefits. Consult the list of countries with which Québec has a social security agreement and find out whether you may be eligible for a pension from another country.

Was the death the result of a work related accident?

If so, you should contact the CSST This link will open in a new window..

Was the death caused by a traffic accident?

If so, you should contact the SAAQ This link will open in a new window..

Are there other sources of income available?

If you think that you have no other source of income except the Québec Pension Plan:

Another useful link

  •  Share
  • Top of the page 

Did you know that?

If the deceased was living elsewhere in Canada, the application must be made with the Department of Human Resources and Social Development.