Did the deceased person contribute sufficiently?
The Régie takes into account all contributions made by the deceased before and after he or she began receiving a retirement pension under the Plan. A person's death gives entitlement to survivors' benefits if he or she contributed to the Québec Pension Plan:
- for at least a third of his or her contributory period and for a minimum of 3 years
For example, if a person dies at age 29, his or her contributory period is 12 years, that is, from age 18 to the year of his or her death. The death will give entitlement to survivors' benefits if the deceased contributed for at least a third of his or her contributory period, that is, 4 years (12 years x 1/3 = 4 years)
- for 10 years.
Deceased persons who had a severe impairment during their contributory period can give entitlement to survivors' benefits even if they did not accumulate enough years of contribution. However, the following 3 conditions apply:
- The deceased must have contributed for a quarter of his or her contributory period, for a minimum of 3 years.
- The deceased must have received an Amount for a Severe and Prolonged Impairment in Mental or Physical Functions (or an equivalent deduction).
- The deceased must not have been receiving a retirement pension or a disability pension under the Québec Pension Plan or the Canada Pension Plan.
If the deceased did not contribute for the required number of years, a death benefit can still be paid if he or she:
- made at least 500 $ in contributions to the Plan
- did not receive a retirement pension or a disability pension under the Québec Pension Plan or the Canada Pension Plan.
The amount of the death benefit is equal to the contributions made, up to a maximum of 2 500 $.
What is the contributory period?
Whether or not a person works the contributory period begins in the month following his or her 18th birthday, or on 1 January 1966 if he or she turned 18 before that date.
The contributory period ends at the end of the first of the following months:
Filing an application...
- the month preceding the one in which payment of a retirement pension under the Plan begins
- the month of his or her 70th birthday
- the month of death.
Application for Survivor's Benefits