Régie des rentes du Québec

Frequently asked questions about changes in your family situation

Changes in your family situation

You can find answers to your questions rapidly in the FAQ. For further information, consult the section Children.

Notice to disabled persons. This section may contain barriers to accessibility. Disable interactivity
Notice to disabled persons. This section may contain barriers to accessibility. Enable interactivity

The parents must notify us of any change in their family situation, except for new births.

  • The spouse is the person to whom the beneficiary is married, united in a civil union or united in a de facto (common law) union.
  • A person is considered to be a de facto spouse after 12 months of cohabitation (any breakdown of less than 90 days does not interrupt the 12-month period) or when the person is the biological or adoptive parent of one of your children.

In the event of the breakdown of a union, spouses will be considered to be de facto separated when the separation has lasted at least 90 days. Wait until that period has passed before declaring your new conjugal status.


If the separation occurred on 6 January, wait until 6 April, or 90 days later, before informing us of the change in conjugal status. The child assistance payments will be adjusted retroactively to February and paid to the person or persons who provide for the care and education of the child.

The death of a child affects child assistance payments and (if applicable) the supplement for handicapped children.

The Directeur de l'état civil informs us automatically of the death of a child.

Payments stop in the quarter following the death. If monthly payments were being made, they will continue until the end of the quarter in which the death occurred.

  •  Share
  • Top of the page