Retirement pension supplement
Are you already receiving your retirement pension under the Québec Pension Plan?
You can work and continue to receive your pension. However, you must contribute to the Plan once your earnings exceed the 3 500 $ basic exemption.
These contributions entitle you to an increase in your retirement pension: the retirement pension supplement. No application needs to be filed because we will automatically pay it.
- The supplement is added to your pension for the rest of your life.
- The supplement is payable as of 1 January of the year following the one in which you made contributions.
- The total supplement for the year is 0,5% of the earnings on which you contributed during the previous year.
- Your pension increases even if you are already receiving the maximum regular pension payable.
- Your pension continues to increase on a yearly basis as long as you continue to make contributions.
Even if the supplement is payable as of 1 January, it usually takes a few months before we receive from Revenu Québec the information required to calculate it. We will pay the amounts owing retroactive to 1 January.
Louise is receiving a retirement pension of 750 $ per month. This year, her employment earnings are 22 700 $. She contributes to the Plan based on employment earnings of 19 200 $ (22 700 $ minus the basic exemption of 3 500 $). On 1 January of the following year, Louise will be entitled to a supplement of 8 $ a month (19 200 $ x 0,5% = 96 $ a year) because of the contributions she made. If she continues to work in the following years, new supplements will be added to her pension for each year worked.
If you are receiving a retirement pension under the Canada Pension Plan
and you work in Québec, you could receive a retirement pension supplement under the Québec Pension Plan. If you contribute to the Plan, we will automatically pay you the supplement without you having to apply for it. The amount will be equal to 0,5% of the earnings on which you contributed to the Plan in the previous year.