Régie des rentes du Québec

Death and child assistance

  • The Registrar of Civil Status informs us automatically of the death of a parent or a spouse.
  • If the spouse died outside Québec and the Registrar of Civil Status has not been notified, you must provide the Régie with proof of death.
  • If the deceased was receiving child assistance payments or the supplement for handicapped children, those payments will stop. The child's new caregiver must make a new Application for Child Assistance Payments.
  • If a beneficiary's spouse dies, the child assistance payments will be recalculated to take into account the new situation (single-parent family). You can use the simulation tool CalculAide to get an estimate of the new amounts that could be paid.

Other useful link

  •  Share
  • Top of the page 

Did you know that?

If you are receiving a child assistance payment and your child were to become handicapped, you could apply for a Supplement for Handicapped Children.