The training activity is for all pension administrators, more specifically:
- for a person who is a member of a pension committee, whether he or she has little or no experience with regard to administering a pension plan
- for a person who is an experienced member of a pension committee who wants to update his or her knowledge in administering a pension plan
- for a person who intends to become a member of a pension committee.
The training activity provides basic information on the role and responsibilities that a person exercises as a member of a pension committee.
It provides examples and situations that illustrate the main elements of the administration of a pension plan that the pension committee must know to carry out its duties, including an example on the distribution of duties over the course of a year.
It discusses in particular:
- the legal obligations of the pension committee and the responsibility of its members
- the main duties of the pension committee
- the operating rules of the pension committee
- the governance rules of the pension committee.
If you can obtain a copy from the secretary of the pension committee, you could read the following documents before the training activity:
- the pension plan text concerned
- the internal by-laws of the pension committee, which specify the operating and governance rules.
Some information provided during the training activity can be found in the sections below. It is available in French and English.