Children with a disabled parent
The financial hardship resulting from disability could be made worse if the disabled person has a dependent child. For this reason, the disability benefits paid by Retraite Québec include a portion intended for the children of a disabled parent.
To be eligible for this pension, the disabled parent must have sufficiently contributed to the Plan and be declared disabled by Retraite Québec.
Pension for a disabled person's child
- If a person who has been declared disabled by Retraite Québec has children under 18 years old, they are entitled to a pension for a disabled person's child.
- The pension for a disabled person's child is generally paid to the disabled person if he or she provides for the child's needs.
- If applicable, the pension for a disabled person's child and the disability pension are paid in a single monthly payment. This pension is $83.99 a month, for each child, in 2022.
- This pension is considered as the child's personal income, even if it is paid to the parent.
- This pension may be paid until the child turns 18. However, it may stop being paid for other reasons.
To find out more
- To find out more on the programs of Retraite Québec on this subject, consult the section Disability.