Application for disability benefits
Before filing an application for disability benefits
Although the Québec Pension Plan (QPP) offers, under certain conditions, a disability pension to individuals who are severely and permanently disabled, certain individuals may have bought disability insurance with a private insurance company.
If you have done so, before you file an application for disability benefits with Retraite Québec, we recommend that you check the provisions of your contract with your insurance company to find out whether you are under the obligation to do so. If you file an application for disability benefits with Retraite Québec, your insurance company could coordinate the benefits it is paying you with the ones you are receiving under the
QPP. This means that the benefits you receive from your insurance company will decrease based on the amount of the benefits you receive from Retraite Québec. However, you must complete and sign the
Consent and Application for Remittance of Disability Benefits to an Insurer form (RRQ 004A) together with a representative of your insurance company.
To apply for a disability pension, follow the guide
Use our My Account online service to track your application at any time.
Follow these 4 easy steps:
- Download the
Application for Disability Benefits Under the Québec Pension Plan.
- Complete the form onscreen, following the instructions carefully. Be sure to give your Social Insurance Number.
- Then, you can
send the form online or
- print the form. Mail the first two parts (Application for Disability Benefits Under the Québec Pension Plan and Consent Regarding the Release of Medical and Psychosocial Information) to:
Case postale 5200
Québec (Québec) G1K 7S9
- Be sure to complete section 1 of the
Medical Report form and send it to your attending physician, who will write the report and send it to
For a pension for a disabled person's child
Be sure to complete the section entitled Application for a pension for a disabled person's child on the
Application for Disability Benefits Under the Québec Pension Plan form.
- Send us your application form as soon as you have completed it. Do not wait for the completed Medical Report from your physician. The date on which we receive your application can have an impact on the type of disability benefit that will be payable as well as the starting date of the benefit. For further information, contact Retraite Québec as soon as possible.
- You will have to pay the fees charged by your physician for preparing the Medical Report.
You can also obtain the Application for Disability Benefits form, including the Medical Report form:
- at one of Retraite Québec's client services centres;
- from Services Québec;
- at your Centre local de services communautaires (CLSC);
- at the office of your member of the National Assembly.
What you need to know