Research choice

Blended family

Following a change in your conjugal status, we recalculate the amount of your child assistance payments.

We consider that you have a spouse if you are married or in a civil union or live with a de facto spouse.

Who receives the payment?

  • If both spouses are eligible, the Family allowance is paid to the spouse with the greatest number of children.
  • If both spouses are eligible and they both have the same number of children, the Family Allowance is paid to the spouse with the youngest child. However, if the new couple has a child, the payments will be made to the mother of that child.
  • If only one of the spouses is eligible, that spouse will receive the Family Allowance payments.

Child assistance payments are made to only one person per family. Spouses can request a change of beneficiary between two spouses in the same family.