Renouncing partition

If you were married or in a civil union

You can renounce partition if you were married or in a civil union and you and your former spouse both agree to do so. Your judgment or notarized joint declaration must state that you have both renounced partition of your employment earnings recorded under the Québec Pension Plan.

Your judgment must also state that you have both renounced partition if you or your former spouse worked elsewhere in Canada and contributed to the Canada Pension Plan and you wish to renounce partition of the employment earnings recorded under that Plan.

If partition is not renounced in your judgment

Only the former spouse whose pension would increase because of partition can renounce it, in the year following the date on which the judgment took effect. The renunciation must be made by means of a notarial deed registered in Québec.

If you were de facto spouses

Renunciation does not apply for de facto spouses, since partition is only carried out if both former spouses give their consent. However, the former spouses can jointly withdraw their application within 90 days of receiving the notice of partition.

Note that...

We strongly recommend that you apply for simulated partition of employment earnings to determine whether partition is advantageous for you.

If you have renounced partition, we will notify both of you in writing that partition will not be carried out.

Practical corner

Top of page