Accepted funeral expenses - Application for the death benefit
Retraite Québec will reimburse the person who paid for the funeral expenses related to the disposition of the body and the funeral, up to a maximum of $2500, upon presentation of receipts.
The following is a non-exhaustive list of accepted expenses:
- transportation, storage and preservation of the body
- embalming of the body
- urn, funeral jewelry, reliquaries, tree of life
- visitation at the funeral home
- funeral service
- burial, cremation, aquamation
- the services of a funeral director
- publication of death notices
- cemetery lot, cremation urn and funeral recess (in proportion to the expenses incurred for the deceased (e.g.: Retraite Québec would recognize $2000 in funeral expenses for an $8000 plot paid for 4 people))
- funeral monument (or inscription) (in proportion to the expenses incurred for the deceased (e.g.: Retraite Québec would recognize $2000 in funeral expenses for an $8000 plot paid for 4 people))
- acknowledgement cards, funeral bookmarks
- taxes related to eligible expenses.
The following expenses are not refunded:
- flower purchases
- expenses related to the reception following the funeral (room rental, caterer, etc.).
Please note that you cannot apply for the death benefit as the individual who paid for the funeral expenses on the portion paid by the deceased or the estate.