Sharing your retirement pension under the Québec Pension Plan
- To save on income tax, you can apply to the Régie for retirement pension sharing between you and your spouse.
- Conditions apply, but both of you do not need to have contributed to the Québec Pension Plan.
- However, if you and your spouse have contributed to the Plan, you must both be receiving your retirement pensions before pension sharing can be carried out. If your spouse applies for pension sharing and your pension is consequently reduced, the Régie will inform you. Once a decision has been made, you will both receive a letter indicating the amount of your new pensions.
Supplemental pension plans, LIRAs and LIFs
Pension sharing is not possible for:
- supplemental pension plans
- locked-in retirement accounts (LIRAs)
- life income funds (LIFs)
- annuity contracts.
Planning your retirement
It is never too early or too late to plan for your retirement. Consult the section Planning your retirement for help with determining your goals in life and evaluating the income you will need to reach them.
Other useful link
Other retirement income can be transferred between spouses. See the Revenu Québec Web site for more information.