Application for Family Allowance

You must file an application if:

  • you are an immigrant or become a resident of Québec
  • your child arrives in or returns to Québec
  • you live in Québec but your child was born outside Québec
  • you obtain custody of a child
  • you obtain or retain custody of a child following the breakdown of your union and you were not previously receiving Family Allowance in your name
  • you obtain shared custody of a child
  • you adopt a child
  • we ask you to apply for Family Allowance.

Do not file an application if:

  • your child was born in Québec. The Registrar of Civil Status will automatically notify us of the birth of a child.
  • you wish to inform us of a change in your custody of the child. You must complete the Change in Percentage of Custody Time form.
  • you are receiving financial aid under the Programme régional d'accueil et d'intégration des demandeurs d'asile (PRAIDA) or because you are a child's foster family or subsidized guardian
  • you are exempted from paying income tax by Revenu Québec
  • your child is married or is living in a de facto union and tax credits were transferred to his or her spouse.

You will need:

  • your social insurance number (SIN) and that of your spouse, if applicable.
  • If one of you does not have a SIN, you must use the paper version of the Application for Family Allowance form.


If your family is a blended family, your application must be completed by the parent of the children.

The information requested in this online service is necessary for the study of your request. For more information, consult our policy concerning access to documents held by public bodies and the protection of personal information.

Notice to disabled persons

This online service may contain barriers to accessibility. You can call us for assistance. Return to footnote referrer

Top of page