Documents accepted - Application for Child Assistance Payments

Notice of Assessment

  • A copy of the Notice of Assessment sent by the Canada Revenue Agency.

Proof to be provided for the child

Depending on your situation, you must provide a document for each child.

For a child born in Canada, but outside Québec:

  • a birth certificate issued by the vital statistics office of the province or territory of the child’s birth.

For a child born outside Canada:

  • one of the following documents in the child's name on which the child's family name, given name and date of birth appear:
    • Protected Person Status Document
    • Interim Federal Health Certificate of Eligibility
    • Permanent Resident Card (both sides)
    • certificate of Canadian citizenship (both sides)
    • Confirmation of Permanent Residence (IMM 5292 or IMM 5688) 
    • visitor record
    • Record of Landing form (IMM 1000)
    • Canadian passport
    • study permit
    • temporary resident permit
  • a document in the parent's name on which the child's family name, given name and date of birth appear:  
    • visitor record
    • study permit
    • temporary resident permit
    • work permit

For an adopted child:

One of the following documents can also be accepted:

  • certificate of registration of adoption from the Court of Québec
  • birth certificate issued by the vital statistics office of a Canadian province or territory
  • adoption judgment from Québec or another Canadian province or territory, Declaration of Inuit Customary Adoption or declaration of adoption
  • placement order from the Court of Québec
  • recognition of an adoption judgment from the Court of Québec

Proof of residence in Québec

Two documents are required

Documents showing your current address are required as proof of residence in Québec, if such proof has not previously been provided to us.

You must provide 2 different documents from the list below. The documents must be issued in your name or in the name of your spouse if your spouse lives with you at the same address.

Documents accepted as proof:

  • deed of purchase of residential property
  • home insurance policy
  • attestation from an employer
  • proof of registration at an educational institution in Québec
  • apartment lease (all pages)
  • municipal or school tax notice
  • invoice from an Internet service provider or a cable television or telephone company
  • invoice from an energy company (heating, electricity)
  • letter from the Régie de l'assurance maladie du Québec confirming eligibility for the Québec Health Insurance Plan
  • letter from Emploi-Québec confirming your status as a beneficiary under the Social Assistance Program or the Social Solidarity Program
  • Québec driver's license

Proof of immigrant status in Canada

You must provide one or more documents for each status you have had during the past 12 months.

If none of these statuses applied to you but one or more of them applied to your spouse during the past 12 months, you must provide us with one or more documents as proof of each status your spouse has had during that period:

  • Protected person:
    • Protected Person Status Document
    • positive Notice of Decision from Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) following an assessment of the risks if removed from Canada
    • positive Notice of Decision from the Immigration and Refugee Board of Canada (IRBC)
    • temporary resident permit (only if the code is Case Type 88)

  • Permanent resident:
    • Permanent Resident Card (both sides)
    • Confirmation of Permanent Residence (IMM 5292 or IMM 5688)  
    • Record of Landing form (IMM 1000)

  • Temporary resident who has been living in Canada for the past 18 months:
    • each visitor record, study permit, temporary resident permit or work permit (other than one that states "does not confer temporary resident status") that covers a period beyond the current 18-month period of residence in Canada.

Information about the documents to be provided


You can mail us the originals. We will return them to you rapidly.

You can also take your originals to one of the following locations:

  • one of our client service centres;
  • one of the local employment centres or one of Services Québec’s offices, where a copy of your originals will be made and stamped ʺOriginal seenʺ. You must send us those copies. 


To obtain certified true copies of the originals, you can contact the agency or person who provided the original documents.
  •  Share
  • Top of the page 
Sign up for Direct Deposit