Eligibility for the Family Allowance
To be eligible for the Family Allowance, you must meet the following conditions:
- You are responsible for the care and education of a child under the age of 18.
- The child lives with you or has been placed elsewhere by a youth centre and you pay the contribution required by the centre.
- You live in Québec (in accordance with the
Québec Taxation Act).
- You or your spouse is in one of the following status categories:
- Canadian citizen
- permanent resident
- temporary resident who has been living in Canada for the least 18 months
- protected person.
You are not entitled to the Family Allowance if:
- you are the child's foster family
- you are exonerated from paying tax by Revenue Québec
- you are waiting for a protected person status (refugee claimant)
- your child is married or in a de facto (common law) union and the child's spouse was entitled to a transfer from one spouse to the other
Make an application if required
A streamlined procedure for newborns
In the case of a
birth in Québec, no application is required in order to receive Family Allowance payments. The child is automatically signed up for the Family Allowance when the birth is declared to the
Directeur de l'état civil.
You must file an
Application for Family Allowance if:
- you adopt a child
- you are an immigrant or become a resident of Québec
- your child arrives in or returns to Québec
- you live in Québec but your child was born outside Québec
- you obtain custody of a child
- you obtain shared custody of a child
- you retain custody of a child following the breakdown of your union and you were not previously receiving Family allowance in your name
- we ask you to apply for Family Allowance.
Access your file online at any time!
My Account allows you to:
- update your information
- file and track your applications
- find out the amounts that you have received or will receive
- receive and consult your documents digitally only
- sign up for notifications to receive an email and/or a text message when changes are made to your file or when a document is uploaded to your file.
Your first payment
We will send you your first Family Allowance payment within a
maximum of 40 days following receipt of the declaration of your child's birth from the
Directeur de l'état civil .
- We can pay Family Allowance retroactively for
a period of 11 months from the date an application is received if all of the eligibility requirements are met.
- To receive Family Allowance, both parents must file their Québec income tax return, even if one or both of them do not have any income to declare. For more information on the income tax return, see
Revenu Québec's Website