Child assistance payments will now be named Family allowance. We are currently updating all of our publications to reflect this change. During the transition period, the former name of the program may still appear in some of our correspondence.
Amount and payment of child assistance
The amount of the child assistance payment varies from one family to another. The calculation takes into account:
- the number of dependent children under the age of 18 who live with you
- the number of children in shared custody
- the family income (the combined total of both spouses' income)
- the family situation (single-parent or two-parent)
Maximum and minimum yearly amounts -
|Maximum assistance ||
1st child ||$2430|
2nd child ||$1214|
3rd child ||$1214|
4th and subsequent children||$1821|
|Single-parent family ||+ $852|
Minimum assistance in all cases||
1st child ||$682|
2nd child ||$630|
|Single-parent family||+ $340|
Note 1 :The amount of the child assistance payment is indexed in January of each year.
Yearly amount for the purchase of school supplies - 2018
|Supplement for the purchase of school supplies||$100|
Yearly amounts for a handicapped child -
|Supplement for handicapped children||$2304|
|Supplement for handicapped children with exceptional care needs||$11 544|
You can use CalculAide to find out the payments that could be made.
Your first child assistance payment
We will send you your first child assistance payment within a maximum of 40 days following receipt of the declaration of your child's birth from the
Directeur de l'état civil .
Child assistance can be paid to only one person in the family. In the case of shared custody, the amount is divided and paid to both parents, according to the payment frequency (quarterly or monthly) chosen by each parent.
We make the child assistance payment on the 1st working day of each quarter, that is, four times a year:
- in July for July, August and September
- in October for October, November and December
- in January for January, February and March
- in April for April, May and June
Payments can be received monthly but a request must be made. In this case, payments are made on the first working day of each month.
Sign up for direct deposit to receive your payments in your bank account.
Consult the payment dates for child assistance.
- We can pay child assistance retroactively for a period of 11 months from the date an application is received if all of the eligibility requirements are met.
- To receive child assistance, both parents must file their Québec income tax return, even if one or both of them do not have any income to declare.
If money is owed to us
A change in family situation can affect the amounts to which a person is entitled. If an overpayment is received, it will have to be repaid.
The amount withheld from payments in order to repay a debt will be calculated according to the following rules:
- 50% of the payment if the annual family income is less than or equal to $35 000. Note that we can withhold more than 50% of the payment if the amounts that remain to be paid are not sufficient to repay the debt. In certain cases, we can withhold more than 50% of the payment even if the family income is less than or equal to $35 000.
- 100% of the payment if the family's annual income is more than $35 000.