You no longer live in Canada

Regardless of your account balance and even if payment of a retirement pension under the plan has already started, you can receive a refund of your account balance or, if you are already receiving a pension, an amount corresponding to the value of your future pension payments, if the following 3 conditions are met:

  • you have not lived in Canada for at least 2 years
  • your active plan membership has ended
  • you no longer work for the employer who sponsors the plan.

You can request a refund at any time, if you meet all the required conditions. To obtain a refund, you must apply to your plan administrator.

Practical corner

Top of page