Accepted expenses and proof of payment
Proof of payment of accepted expenses must be sent to
Retraite Québec at the same time as the application for the death benefit under the Québec Pension Plan or within 60 days following the contributor's death. The documents can be sent to us online or mailed to the following address:
Case postale 5200
Québec (Québec) G1K 7S9
What are admissible funeral expenses?
The following is a non-exhaustive list of accepted expenses:
- transportation, storage and preservation of the body
- embalming of the body
- urn, funeral jewelry, reliquaries, tree of life
- visitation at the funeral home
- funeral service
- burial, cremation, aquamation
- the services of a funeral director
- publication of death notices
- cemetery lot, cremation urn and funeral recess (in proportion to the expenses incurred for the deceased (e.g.: Retraite Québec would recognize $2000 in funeral expenses for an $8000 plot paid fo 4 people))
- funeral monument (or inscription) (in proportion to the expenses incurred for the deceased (e.g.: Retraite Québec would recognize $2000 in funeral expenses for an $8000 monument paid for 4 people))
- acknowledgement cards, funeral bookmarks
- taxes related to eligible expenses.
The following expenses are not refunded:
- flower purchases
- expenses related to the reception following the funeral (room rental, caterer, etc.).
Which payment receipts are accepted?
Retraite Québec accepts the following documents as proof of payment for funeral expenses:
Reçu pour frais funéraires acquittés (Receipt for funeral expenses paid; French only), duly completed
- a copy of the receipt from the funeral home
- a copy of the
invoice or funeral contract confirming payment
These documents must contain all of the
information necessary to determine the admissibility of the expenses.