Direct Deposit (Non personalized service)


If you change accounts, do not close your old account until the first payment has been deposited in the new one.

Use this service:

  • to receive directly into your account:
    • your benefits under the Québec Pension Plan
    • your benefits from public-sector pension plans (such as RREGOP and the PPMP)
    • your Family Allowance payments
  • to change the account into which payments of your pensions or your benefits are deposited

You will need:

your banking information, namely your account number and your Social Insurance Number.

Would you like to have your payments deposited in an account outside Canada?

This service is offered for Québec Pension Plan and public-sector pension plan benefits (such as RREGOP and the PPMP). You must complete the appropriate form and send it online with the requested documents.

The information requested in this online service is necessary for the study of your request. For more information, consult our policy concerning access to documents held by public bodies and the protection of personal information.

Notice to disabled persons

This online service may contain barriers to accessibility. You can call us for assistance. Return to footnote referrer

Top of page