Youtube facebook twitter PinterestLinkedin Instagram

Change in conjugal status – Family Allowance


An increase in the annual maximum and minimum Family Allowance amounts, taking effect in January 2020, was announced in November 2019. The amounts granted will no longer vary based on the children's rank in the family.

Use our CalculAide tool for an estimate of the amounts to which you could be entitled.

Consult our Amounts and payment of Family Allowance Web page for more information.

Should your conjugal situation change, the amount of your Family Allowance payment will be recalculated. To avoid having to repay overpayments, you must take the following steps according to the changes in your situation:

Change in conjugal status

The parent who is currently receiving Family Allowance payments must use the online service to inform us of the change in conjugal status.

The parent who is not receiving Family Allowance payments in his or her name must file an application for Family Allowance payments if the child or children live with him or her at least 40% of the time per month.

Change in child custody

If the change in conjugal status also involves a change in child custody, you must inform us immediately by telephone .

To access the online service, you will need:

your Social Insurance Number (SIN) and that of your spouse, if applicable.
If neither you nor your spouse has a SIN, please contact us.


In the event of the breakdown of your union, you must be separated from your spouse for at least 90 days before notifying us of the separation.

Visit the following Web pages for more information:

The information requested in this online service is necessary for the study of your request. For more information, consult our policy concerning access to documents held by public bodies and the protection of personal information.

Notice to disabled persons

This online service may contain barriers to accessibility. You can call us for assistance. Return to footnote referrer

  • Top of page