Change in conjugal status

Following a change in conjugal status, we recalculate the amount of your Family Allowance payments.

Revenu Québec informs us of your conjugal status on 31 December of the reference year and provides information about your family's income.

In order to receive the amounts to which you are entitled, you must notify us if any of the following changes occur:

  • marriage
  • civil union
  • de facto (common law) union
  • legal separation
  • de facto separation
  • divorce
  • dissolution of union

Conditions that need to be respected

De facto (common law) union

In order to declare that you are now living in a de facto (common law) union:

  • you must have lived with another person in a de facto (common law) union for at least 12 months.Wait until then before notifying us of the change;
  • the person with whom you live becomes the biological or adoptive parent of at least one of your children

The Family Allowance is paid to only one person in each family. Within a union, if your new spouse is already entitled to it, the payment will be made according to certain rules.

De facto separation

In the event of a separation, you will be considered to be de facto separated when the separation has lasted at least 90 days. Wait until that period has passed before declaring your new conjugal status.


If you have been separated since 6 January, you must wait until 6 April, or 90 days later, before informing us of the change in family situation. The Family Allowance payments will be adjusted retroactively to February and paid to the person or persons who provide for the care and education of the child.

Other useful information

Top of page