Payment of the disability pension under the Québec Pension Plan
Amount of the pension
For 2022, the maximum monthly amount can reach $1463.83 a month. That amount consists of:
- a fixed amount of $524.61, which is the same for all beneficiaries
- an amount that varies on the basis of the employment earnings entered under your name under the Québec Pension Plan
When payment begins
Payment of your pension will normally begin in the fourth month following the one in which Retraite Québec deems you to have become disabled. This is called the waiting period.
However, if you are receiving an unreduced income replacement indemnity from the Commission de la santé et de la sécurité du travail (CSST), a disability pension can be paid as of the month following the one in which payment of the indemnity ends.
In certain cases and under certain conditions, you could be eligible for a retirement pension under the Québec Pension Plan while your application for disability benefits is being processed.
In addition, if we deem you to be disabled and you choose to receive a disability pension, you must cancel your retirement pension and repay all amounts you have received since your first retirement pension payment.
An example of a waiting period
|Retraite Québec deems you to have become disabled as of January.
||The waiting period begins as of February.
||2nd month of the waiting period
||3rd month of the waiting period
||The waiting period ends. Payment of your pension begins.
The disability pension is taxable
At the beginning of each year, Retraite Québec sends beneficiaries an RL-2 slip that they must enclose with their income tax return. The slip shows the amount that they received during the preceding year as a disability pension beneficiary.
Income tax deductions from a Pension under the Québec Pension Plan
You can ask Retraite Québec to deduct income tax at source by telling us the amount to be deducted.
Disability payments are made on the first working day of each month, by direct deposit or by cheque.
- If you are receiving an income replacement indemnity from the Société de l'assurance automobile du Québec (SAAQ), certain rules apply to pension payment. To find out more, call Retraite Québec.
- If you are receiving disability benefits from an insurance company, those benefits may be reduced by the amount of the disability pension paid by Retraite Québec. Contact your insurance company for more information.
- Receiving benefits from another country will in no way reduce the amount of your disability pension under the Québec Pension Plan. However, pensions from some countries may be reduced if you are receiving a pension under the Québec Pension Plan.
When payments end
Your disability pension will automatically be replaced by a retirement pension when you reach age 65, which is the normal retirement age. You do not have to notify Retraite Québec or take any additional steps. The amount of your retirement pension will be reduced to take into account the years during which you received a disability pension. The reduction also depends on your year of birth.
If you were born before 1 January 1954
The amount of your retirement pension will be reduced by 6% for each year (0.5% per month) in which you received a disability pension between the ages of 60 and 65.
If you were born in or after 1954
Depending on the amount of your retirement pension and the year in which you begin receiving it, your pension will be reduced by 6% to 7.2% for each year (0.5% to 0.6% per month) in which you received a disability pension between the ages of 60 and 65.
If you return to work or your employment earnings increase, payment of your disability pension could be terminated.
What you need to know