This section is for professionals whose duties are related to locked-in retirement accounts (LIRAs) and life income funds (LIFs).
LIRA is a retirement savings vehicle (accumulation), while an
LIF is used to draw a retirement income (withdrawal).
The Regulation respecting supplemental pension plans resulting from the Supplemental Pension Plans Act, governs
LIFs for which amounts are from:
- a plan that is subject to the Supplemental Pension Plans Act;
- a plan that is subject to another Québec legislation such as the RREGOP;
- voluntary retirement savings plan (VRSP) locked-in account.
LIRAs and LIFs governed by the Regulation respecting supplemental pension plans are monitored by Retraite Québec. As such, Retraite Québec must:
- ensure that the conditions relating to
LIFs as eligible transfer instruments are fulfilled;
- register the texts of standard
LIF contracts as well as any amendments.
Other useful information