Child assistance payments will now be named Family allowance. The Gouvernement du Québec made the announcement on 3 December 2018 while presenting its Update on Québec's Economic and Financial Situation. We are currently updating all of our publications to reflect this change. During the transition period, the former name of the program may still appear in some of our correspondence.

Change in custody

When a child's custody is transferred from one parent to the other, or shared between both parents, the amount of Family Allowance paid for the child will be affected.

Be sure to notify us quickly of any change in the child's custody so that the financial assistance for the child is paid to the person or persons responsible for the child.

What you must know

  • Top of page