New resident of Québec and child assistance
Has your family or your child just arrived in Québec? You may be entitled to child assistance, a form of financial assistance for families with dependent children under age 18.
This financial measure includes child assistance payments, the supplement for handicapped children and the supplement for handicapped children with exceptional care needs.
Eligibility for child assistance payments
To be eligible for child assistance payments, you must meet all of the following conditions:
- You are responsible for the care and education of a child under the age of 18.
- The child lives with you or has been placed elsewhere by a youth centre and you pay the contribution required by the centre.
- You live in Québec (in accordance with the
- You or your spouse has one of the following statuses:
- Canadian citizen
- permanent resident
- temporary resident who has been living in Canada for the last 18 months
- protected person.
You must provide proof
- If your child was born outside Québec or was adopted,
a birth certificate will be required.
- If the child for whom you are completing the application was born outside Québec and one of his or her parents is a Canadian citizen or is a permanent resident who has returned to Québec, or if the child arrived alone in Québec without his or her parents, proof of the child's presence in Québec will be required.
- If you arrived in Québec in the last 24 months,
two proofs of residence will be required.
- If you or your spouse are not Canadian citizens,
proofs of your immigrant status in Canada, or that of your spouse, will be required.
Certification of proof
You can mail us the originals. We will return them to you rapidly.
You can also take your originals to one of the following locations:
TRUE COPIES OF THE ORIGINALS
To obtain certified true copies of the originals, you can contact the agency or person who provided the original documents.
To receive child assistance
If your child is born in Québec,
you do not have to apply to receive child assistance. When the birth of a child is declared to the
Directeur de l'état civil , the child is automatically signed up for the child assistance program.
However, you must apply for child assistance payments if your child was born outside Québec or:
- you are an immigrant or become a resident of Québec
- your child arrives in or returns to Québec
- you adopt a child.
Use the My Account online service to check the status of your application or request whenever you want!
My Account online to check the status of your application or request and see the changes made to your file instantly.
- We can pay child assistance retroactively for a period of 11 months from the date an application is received if all of the eligibility requirements are met.