New resident of Québec and the Family Allowance
Due to the exceptional situation resulting from COVID-19 pandemic, Revenu Québec has extended the deadline for producing and submitting your 2019 income tax return to 1 June 2020. Given the circumstances, if your family income was not yet available when we sent you your 2020-2021 annual notice regarding Family Allowance, Retraite Québec will continue paying you a temporary amount until September 2020. If necessary, we will make an adjustment once Revenu Québec has provided us with the information on your family income for 2019.
For additional information, see the
Frequently Asked Questions regarding the COVID-19 pandemic.
Has your family or your child just arrived in Québec? You may be entitled to Family Allowance, a form of financial assistance for families with dependent children under age 18.
This financial measure includes the
Family Allowance payment, the Supplement for the Purchase of School Supplies, the Supplement for Handicapped Children and the
Supplement for Handicapped Children Requiring Exceptional Care.
Eligibility for Family Allowance payments
To be eligible for Family Allowance payments, you must meet all of the following conditions:
- You are responsible for the care and education of a child under the age of 18.
- The child lives with you or has been placed elsewhere by a youth centre and you pay the contribution required by the centre.
- You live in Québec (in accordance with the
- You or your spouse has one of the following statuses:
- Canadian citizen
- permanent resident
- temporary resident who has been living in Canada for the last 18 months
- protected person.
You must provide proof
Information about the documents to be provided
Note that you can provide clear and legible copies of the documents. If necessary, we may request the original documents or certified true copies.
To receive the Family Allowance
If your child is born in Québec,
you do not have to apply to receive Family Allowance. When the birth of a child is declared to the
Directeur de l'état civil , the child is automatically signed up for the Family Allowance measure.
However, you must apply for Family Allowance payments if your child was born outside Québec or:
- you are an immigrant or become a resident of Québec
- your child arrives in or returns to Québec
- you adopt a child.
Use the My Account online service to check the status of your application or request whenever you want!
My Account online to check the status of your application or request and see the changes made to your file instantly.
- We can pay Family Allowance retroactively for a period of 11 months from the date an application is received if all of the eligibility requirements are met.