Child assistance payments will now be named Family allowance. The Gouvernement du Québec made the announcement on 3 December 2018 while presenting its Update on Québec's Economic and Financial Situation. We are currently updating all of our publications to reflect this change. During the transition period, the former name of the program may still appear in some of our correspondence.
New resident of Québec and the Family Allowance
Has your family or your child just arrived in Québec? You may be entitled to child assistance, a form of financial assistance for families with dependent children under age 18.
This financial measure includes the Family Allowance payment, the
supplement for the purchase of school supplies, the
supplement for handicapped childrenand the
supplement for handicapped children with exceptional care needs.
Eligibility for the Family Allowance payments
To be eligible for Family Allowance payments, you must meet all of the following conditions:
- You are responsible for the care and education of a child under the age of 18.
- The child lives with you or has been placed elsewhere by a youth centre and you pay the contribution required by the centre.
- You live in Québec (in accordance with the
- You or your spouse has one of the following statuses:
- Canadian citizen
- permanent resident
- temporary resident who has been living in Canada for the last 18 months
- protected person.
You must provide proof
- If your child was born outside Québec or was adopted,
a birth certificate will be required.
- If the child for whom you are completing the application was born outside Québec and one of his or her parents is a Canadian citizen or is a permanent resident who has returned to Québec, or if the child arrived alone in Québec without his or her parents,
proof of the child's presence in Québec will be required.
- If you arrived in Québec in the last 24 months,
two proofs of residence will be required.
- If you or your spouse are not Canadian citizens,
proofs of your immigrant status in Canada, or that of your spouse, will be required.
Information about the documents to be provided
Note that you can provide clear and legible copies of the documents. If necessary, we may request the original documents or certified true copies.
To receive the Family Allowance
If your child is born in Québec,
you do not have to apply to receive child assistance. When the birth of a child is declared to the
Directeur de l'état civil , the child is automatically signed up for the child assistance program.
However, you must apply for child assistance payments if your child was born outside Québec or:
- you are an immigrant or become a resident of Québec
- your child arrives in or returns to Québec
- you adopt a child.
Use the My Account online service to check the status of your application or request whenever you want!
My Account online to check the status of your application or request and see the changes made to your file instantly.
- We can pay Family Allowance retroactively for a period of 11 months from the date an application is received if all of the eligibility requirements are met.