New resident of Québec and Family Allowance
Has your family or your child just arrived in Québec? You may be entitled to Family Allowance, a form of financial assistance for families with dependent children under age 18.
This financial measure includes
Family Allowance, the Supplement for the Purchase of School Supplies, the
Supplement for Handicapped Children and the
Supplement for Handicapped Children Requiring Exceptional Care.
Eligibility for Family Allowance payments
To be eligible for Family Allowance payments, you must meet all of the following conditions:
- You are responsible for the care and education of a child under age 18.
- The child lives with you or has been placed elsewhere by a youth centre and you pay the contribution required by the centre.
- You live in Québec (in accordance with the
- You or your spouse are one of the following:
- Canadian citizen
- permanent resident
- temporary resident who has been living in Canada for the last 18 months
- protected person.
You will be required to provide documents as proof
Information on documents provided as proof
When documents provided as proof are required, you can send clear and legible copies of the documents online. If necessary, we may request the original documents or certified true copies.
To receive Family Allowance
If your child was born in Québec,
you do not need to file an application to receive Family Allowance. When the birth of a child is declared to the
Directeur de l'état civil , the child is automatically signed up for the Family Allowance measure.
However, you must file an application for Family Allowance payments if your child was born outside Québec or:
- you are an immigrant or become a resident of Québec
- your child arrives in or returns to Québec
- you adopt a child.
- We can pay Family Allowance retroactively for a period of 11 months from the date an application is received if all of the eligibility requirements are met.