New resident of Québec and Family Allowance

Has your family or your child just arrived in Québec? You may be entitled to Family Allowance, a form of financial assistance for parents with dependent children under age 18.

This financial measure includes Family Allowance, the Supplement for the Purchase of School Supplies, the Supplement for Handicapped Children and the Supplement for Handicapped Children Requiring Exceptional Care.

Eligibility for Family Allowance payments

To be eligible for the Family Allowance, all of the following conditions must be met:

  • You or your spouse are responsible for the care and education of a child under the age of 18.
  • The child lives or lived with you at the time when he or she was temporarily institutionalized by an establishment in the health and social services sector.
  • You or your spouse live in Québec (in accordance with the Québec Taxation Act).
  • You or your spouse have one of the following statuses:
    • Canadian citizen
    • permanent resident
    • temporary resident who has been living in Canada for at least 18 months
    • protected person.

You will be required to provide documents as proof

Information on documents provided as proof

When documents provided as proof are required, you can send clear and legible copies of the documents online. If necessary, we may request the original documents or certified true copies.

To receive Family Allowance

If your child was born in Québec, you do not need to file an application to receive Family Allowance. When the birth of a child is declared to the Directeur de l'état civil This link will open in a new window., the child is automatically signed up for the Family Allowance measure.

However, you must file an application for Family Allowance payments if your child was born outside Québec or:

  • you are an immigrant or become a resident of Québec
  • your child arrives in or returns to Québec
  • you adopt a child.
  • We can pay Family Allowance retroactively for a period of 11 months from the date an application is received if all of the eligibility requirements are met.
Top of page