Retirement pension supplement
Workers who are already receiving a retirement pension under the Québec Pension Plan and who work must contribute to the Plan once their earnings exceed the $3500 basic exemption.
These contributions entitle workers to an increase in their retirement pension: the retirement pension supplement. No application needs to be filed because we will automatically pay it.
- The supplement is added to the person's pension for the rest of his or her life.
- The supplement is payable as of 1 January of the year following the one in which the person made contributions.
- The total supplement for the year is 0,5% of the earnings on which he or she contributed during the previous year.
- The pension increases even if the person is already receiving the maximum regular pension payable.
- The pension continues to increase on a yearly basis as long as the person continues to make contributions.
Even if the supplement is payable as of 1 January, it usually takes a few months before we receive from Revenu Québec the information required to calculate it. We will pay the amounts owing retroactive to 1 January.
Louise is receiving a retirement pension of $750 per month. This year, her employment earnings are $22 700. She contributes to the Plan based on employment earnings of $19 200 ($22 700 minus the basic exemption of $3500). On 1 January of the following year, Louise will be entitled to a supplement of 8 $ a month ($19 200 x 0,5% = $96 a year) because of the contributions she made. If she continues to work in the following years, new supplements will be added to her pension for each year worked.
Workers who are receiving a retirement pension under the Canada Pension Plan
and who work in Québec could receive a retirement pension supplement under the Québec Pension Plan (QPP). If workers contribute to the QPP
, we will automatically pay them the supplement without them having to apply for it. The amount will be equal to 0,5% of the earnings on which they contributed to the QPP
in the previous year.