Retirement pension supplement
Are you already receiving your retirement pension under the Québec Pension Plan (QPP)?
You can work and continue to receive it. However, you must contribute to the Plan as soon as your earnings exceed the $3500 basic exemption.
These contributions entitle you to an increase in your retirement pension: the retirement pension supplement.
No application needs to be filed to receive it because we will automatically pay it.
- The supplement will be added to your pension amount for the rest of your life.
- The supplement is payable as of 1 January of the year following the one during which you made contributions.
- The supplement that will be paid in 2022 in respect of income earned in 2021 is equal to 0.58% of the earnings on which you contributed. Due to the enhancement of the QPP in effect since 2019, the supplement will continue to increase until 2024, the year during which it will be 0.66% of the earnings on which you contributed during the previous year.
- Your pension will increase even if you are already receiving the maximum amount each month.
- Your pension will continue to increase on a yearly basis as long as you continue to make new contributions.
Even if the supplement is payable as of 1 January, it usually takes a few months before we receive from
Revenu Québec the information required to calculate it. We will pay you the amounts owing retroactive to 1 January.
Louise is receiving a retirement pension of $750 per month. In 2021, her employment earnings were $22 700. She is therefore contributing to the Québec Pension Plan based on employment earnings of $19 200 ($22 700 minus the basic exemption of $3500). On 1 January 2022, Louise was entitled to a supplement of about $9.28 a month ($19 200 x 0.58% = $111.36 a year) because of the contributions she made in 2021. If she continues to work in the following years, new supplements will then be added to her pension for each year worked.
If you are receiving a retirement pension under the
Canada Pension Plan and are working in Québec, you could receive a retirement pension supplement under the Québec Pension Plan. If you are contributing to the Plan, we will automatically pay you the supplement without you having to apply for it. Due to the enhancement of the
QPP in effect since 2019, the percentage used to calculate the retirement pension supplement gradually increases from 0.5% to 0.66% of the earnings on which you contributed during the previous year.
Other useful link