You share custody of the child

  • In cases of shared custody, the Family Allowance payments are made to both parents at the same time and according to the payment frequency (quarterly or monthly) chosen by each parent.
  • Under the Taxation Act, we cannot take into consideration any financial agreementbetween two parents regarding the Family Allowance (e.g. an agreement that has been confirmed or not by a court judgment, a mediation report, etc.).
  • We consider that a child is in shared custody when the child lives alternately with each parent between 40% and 60% of the time each month.
  • If the child's custody is shared between one parent and another person, the parent's percentage of custody time must be a minimum of 40% but not more than 59% each month. In this case, we may verify how responsibility for the child's care is shared.

We must be informed of any shared custody arrangements. Please ensure that the information in your annual notice includes the mention "shared custody" for the children who are in that situation. If any changes are required, please inform us immediately.

The Family Allowance

  • In cases of shared custody, you are entitled to an amount equivalent to half of the amount that you would have received for the child, if the child were not in shared custody.
  • If you were not already receiving payments when shared custody began, you must file an Application for Family Allowance Payments to receive the amounts to which you could be entitled.
  • We can pay Family Allowance retroactively for a period of 11 months from the date an application is received if all of the eligibility requirements are met.

Supplements for handicapped children

  • If you share custody of a child and a supplement for handicapped children is being paid for that child, the amount of the supplement will automatically be divided between the 2 parents. The same rule applies if you receive the Supplement for Handicapped Children Requiring Exceptional Care.

Change in conjugal situation

  • Following a change in conjugal status, we recalculate the amount of your Family Allowance. In the event of the breakdown of your union, you will be considered to be de facto separated when you have lived apart for at least 90 days. Wait until that period has passed before declaring your new conjugal status.

Other useful information

Top of page