The amount of a retirement pension
The pension amount is calculated on the basis of:
- the employment earnings recorded under the contributor's name since 1966, the year in which the Plan started
- the contributor's age when pension payments begin
When to apply?
The amount of a retirement pension under the Québec Pension Plan depends on the age at which the contributor begins receiving his or her pension, the number of years he or she contributed to the Plan and the employment earnings on which he or she contributed. It is adjusted according to whether payment of the pension begins before or after the contributor's 65th birthday. The age at which the contributor begins receiving a retirement pension will determine the amount of the pension for as long as it is paid.
To make an informed choice, it is necessary to consider a wide array of factors, such as:
- income (employment, private pension plan, personal savings, etc.)
- the adjustment factor applied to the pension based on the contributor's age and the amount of the pension
- how a retirement pension under the Plan may affect benefits under other programs
- life expectancy
- payment of a surviving spouse's pension.
A financial planner can help choose the best time to begin receiving a pension, depending on the contributor's financial resources and overall needs.
To simulate your retirement income, use our SimulR and CompuPension tools
Maximum retirement pension amounts payable for persons who begin receiving their pensions in 2018
||Maximum monthly amount
See Note 1
|64 See Note 2
|64 See Note 3
|70 or over
- The amounts apply to persons entitled to the maximum pension.
- The amount applies to persons born in 1954 or later and whose pension began in February 2018 or later.
- The amount applies to persons born in December 1953 or later and whose pension began in January 2018.
- A retirement pension is taxable.
- It is adjusted in January each year to reflect increases in the cost of living.
- It is possible to save on the income tax payable on your pension.
- We can deduct income tax at source. The beneficiary simply indicates the amount to be deducted.
Statement of Participation in the Québec Pension Plan
Every 4 years, we mail a Statement of Participation in the Québec Pension Plan to all contributors. The document can also be consulted online. It is important to ensure that the amounts indicated on this statement are correct. If there are any errors, you must notify us by completing the form entitled Request for Corrections to Pensionable Employment Earnings.