Filing an application

Be sure to apply for Family Allowance if you have not already done so. 

You can obtain the Application for a Supplement for Handicapped Children form:

Worth knowing about...

The form has 2 parts:

  • you must fill out the parent's part, which includes the appendix regarding the educational achievement report
  • the professional's part must be completed by the professional (physician, physical therapist, occupational therapist, etc.) who assessed or cares for the child and who best knows his or her state of health.

Send us the parent's part as soon as possible since you may be entitled to a retroactive payment. The supplement for handicapped children can be paid retroactively for a period of 11 months prior to the date on which we received your application, provided your child met all eligibility requirements during that period.

Please note, however, that we will not actually process the file until we receive the professional's part.

Remember to enclose all the documents requested in the Eligibility requirements section.

Please note that even if you application is accepted, it is possible that your child may be reassessed from time to time.

Practical corner

Did you know?

A Notice of Assessment is an acknowledgement of receipt of your income tax return. Every year, taxpayers receive two notices of assessment: one from the Canada Revenue Agency and one from Revenu Québec.

Top of page